Fab Over Fifty
FOFundraiser Banner
Anonymous asks:
what is test for insurance to pay for droopy eyelids. My are extremely bad, I am 53 and have always had what I called my "droopy eye" since childhood, now they are both bad with that one being worse.

On: 09/27/2013 12:26 am

To doctors from: Florida

Category: Eyelid


DrElizabethMorgan on 10/01/2013 10:26 am wrote:
The criteria vary with each insurance policy.

Not even Medicare has standard criteria. It varies from state to state, depending on the insurance company managing Medicare for that state.
In general peripheral vision must be tested by the surgeon, his/her assistant or an optician and a significant decrease in vision documented.
At times, the surgery is specifically excluded in an insurance policy.
Contact your insurer and get a copy of the criteria that must be met.
This can often be found on the insurer's website.
Best Wishes!
DrMichaelHueneke on 09/27/2013 03:33 pm wrote:
A visual field test would indicate a problem. In many cases insurance covers this problem because it is functional, not cosmetic