A conversation with Sally Hilkene, Owner
- What makes Churchill special?
- I wanted this store to be a fantasy. It's a sort of treasure chest -- a place where people can appreciate various designs in the world, from furniture to jewelry to fashion, and be able to touch and experience them in person. This is a place where you can walk in and put together everything, the whole outfit from bottom to top, and then also be able to get a housewarming gift for someone if you're going to a dinner party. I have everything here except stamps and drugs.
- Define your customer.
- Our clients run the gamut, from the chic bohemian to the prom queen, to the corporate executive to the biker chick, and finally, to the doyenne of society. What is your buying policy? From antiques to jewelry, fashion and design, it’s based on Sally’s eye. Sally buys only select pieces from a collection and many are custom designed to make them a Churchill one-of-a-kinds. Churchill travels the world to find the best in design.
- What stable of designers do you carry?
- Jenny Packham, Erickson Beamon, Pauric Sweeney, Philippe Audibert, Yossi Harari, Erica Courtney, Loree Rodkin, Armand Diradourian, Marika Charles, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, Lie Sang Bong, Blur, Great China Wall, Armand Basi, Jarbo, Dondup, Marie Saint Pierre, Sprung Freres, Kokin, Epice, Pashma. What special services do you offer? Everyone on staff is a designer of some sort. Whether it’s fashion, interiors, or jewelry, we offer unlimited design services for that one-of-a-kind look our clients want.
- What is a very popular item year in and year out?
- A great pair of Erickson Beamon earrings, a vintage hand-painted motorcycle jacket, a custom tailored English hacking jacket, and a handbag made from exotic skins.
- What do you give back to the community?
- Since 2004, Churchill has designated three local charities to receive a percentage of monthly sales. Upon checkout, our clients can choose which charity they would like to benefit. We are the first to do this in the Kansas City area on a daily basis.
- What should every woman over 50 own?
- Great accessories and good lighting!