A conversation with Robin Mizrahi, Manager and Buyer
- What is your store’s buying philosophy
- I love finding new up-and-coming designers and helping them evolve. Often the smaller designers work closely with us so that they produce what we know we can sell. For the “sport” shop, if I find one outstanding look from a line, I am happy to have just that one style. Sometimes there is a collection that does v-necks best, another narrow pants, another trouser jeans, etc. When buying a collection for the “collection” shop, we look at the collection as a whole and see if we agree with the statement it makes.
- What stable of designers do you carry?
- At our “collection” store, we carry Stella McCartney, Chloe, Narciso Rodriguez, Moschino, Alberta Ferretti, Lanvin, Strenesse, Celine. Our “sport” shop features Nili Lotan, Joseph of London, Hanii, Brochu Walker, Inhabit, New Scotland, Transit, Kristensen du Nord, Ulla Johnson, Organic, Sunner, Elizabeth and James, Vince, Generra, June, Gimos, Minnie Rose, Jocelyn, Cassin, Current Elliot, James Jeans, Custom Work jeans, Malibu, J. brand, Aude, American Vintage, Adam, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Qi cashmere, Frank&Eileen, Enza Costa, Pedro Garcia, Tila March, K.jaques .
- What special services do you offer?
- We have old-fashioned service. What don't we do? We feed your parking meter when you shop with us. We will work around your schedule. We have done closet consults; we consider ourselves personal shoppers for all of our clients. An expert seamstress comes in twice a week. We even put together looks from things our clients already own, whether they came from our shop or not.
- What is a very popular item year in and year out?
- The sport shop always has the “must have” jeans, that perfect cardi, the piece under the cardi, and that “making the look your own” accessory. In the collection shop we have the perfect little easy dress that can be for day or night, depending on the shoes or boots.
- What do you give back to the community?
- We donate items for auction. We organize fundraising fashion shows. We make ourselves available and feel that it is part of our duty. As often as we are asked to participate, we do so with a smile.
- What should every woman over 50 own?
- A yoga mat and at least three pair of jeans: a nighttime jean (a bit darker in color); a weekend comfy, worn-out sneaker jean; a straight-leg classic. A great bag -- preferably not too heavy. A long cardigan to top off anything and feel flowy. Serious moisturizer.