I’m thinking of getting liposuction done on a few areas of my body where I have an exceedingly hard time losing weight, primarily my stomach and thighs. The extra weight and fat have caused be back and knee issues. Is this a good procedure to help or are their other options? Also, are patients normally put under for this?

0 Answers

  1. Dr. Janet Turkle wrote on :

    Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.It is best suited for those areas of fat that are exercise and diet resistant. If you lack elasticity of your skin, other procedures might be more helpful. A consultation with a board-certified plastics surgeon should answer all of your questions and help you make the right decision.

  2. Dr. Ronald Stefani wrote on :

    Liposuction is commonly used to treat localized areas of fat to better contour and shape your body. Since it is not a technique for significant weight loss, it is unlikely that the amount of fat removed will help your back and knee issues. It is commonly performed under a twilight sleep sedation. I hope this information is helpful.

  3. Dr. Ellen Janetzke wrote on :

    Liposuction is primarily for contouring. It could help blend those areas to match the rest of your body but the amount of weight removed is typically not enough to make a significant difference for your joints. There are probably other options but it is hard to say without examining you.

  4. Dr. Gustavo Galante wrote on :

    Liposuction is an excellent procedure to address excess fat on the abdomen and thighs that has been unresponsive to diet and exercise. Good skin tone is important so the skin shrinks nicely over the newly contoured fat. Don’t expect to lose weight with this procedure. Also, you should not expect it to improve or resolve the issues with your back and knees. If excess weight is the problem, then weight loss should help your symptoms, not liposuction.

    The cost is dependent on many factors…the surgeon, the facility, the type of anesthesia, the number of areas treated, and the area of the country you live in. You should see your family physician first and then get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to help sort out these issues.

Are you an FOF Doctor? Please to log in and post your response