vkuhl SAID:

I had a small growth removed from right between my eyes about six weeks ago. It has left a pitted scar that is impossible to cover up. It is no longer red, but it is like a crater in a very noticeable area of my face. I am wondering whether I should go to a scar reduction specialist now, or wait longer to see if it improves further. Also, any suggestions on noninvasive procedures would be greatly appreciated.

0 Answers

  1. Dr. Diana Ghosh wrote on :

    Most scars take a minimum of 4 months to completely mature. I would sit tight for now, use sunscreen every day and scar cream.

    After the 4 month period, if you are still unhappy, visit a plastic surgeon. It may be possible to inject a dermal filler in the area to “fill in” the defect.

  2. Dr. James Wethe wrote on :

    Although your early result may not be exactly what you wanted it is a bit too early to actually do a scar revision but not too early to discuss your concerns with your surgeon who removed the growth for you. Scars change significantly over months and what your scar looks like now is not necessarily a good indicator of what it will look like in 3 months to one year. If you don’t get a satisfactory answer from your doctor then it would be reasonable to get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon so you have a plan in place should the scar not improve. Additionally, there are filler materials such as Juvederm, Restylane, and others that can be used as a temporary “fix” for problem areas like this while you decide what your longer term plan is in consultation with your surgeon.

  3. Dr. Frank Agullo wrote on :

    If the scar has stopped improving, then seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon. The scar may respond to laser therapy or may require excision.

  4. Dr. Steve Laverson wrote on :

    If it’s not improving from week to week, seek help now. If it is improving, delay until it is stable (unless it is intolerable to you). These are easy scars to fix, and to resolve when expertly handled.

Are you an FOF Doctor? Please to log in and post your response