AngelWolfran SAID:

Is there any type of eyelid surgery that can make round Caucasian eyes more Asian?

3 Answers

  1. DrElliotJacobs wrote on :

    There is an anatomic difference between the Asian “single lid” and the Caucasian “double lid.” It depends where a muscle attaches to the skin. To my knowledge, there are surgical means of changing an Asian eyelid to a Caucasian eyelid, but not the other way around. Indeed, one can surgically up tilt the lateral corner of the eyelids, but the basic eyelid structures would remain.

    However, one of the hallmarks of an Asian eye is an “almond” shape, and this can be achieved, at least in part, with appropriate use of skin fillers such as Restylane.

    Why not consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon and inquire about this possibility?

    Good luck!

    Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
    New York City

  2. DrWilliamRosenblatt wrote on :

    Eye shape is determined by many factors, among them are the shape of the boney orbit. Sometimes one can do a lateral canthopexy and shift the angle, but it may not be permanent.

  3. DrFarhadRafizadeh wrote on :

    The anatomic difference between the oriental and the caucasian eyelid is that the oriental lid does not have an eyelid crease or if it does it is low by the upper lid margin. In the Caucasian eyelid the deep layer of skin attaches to the upper part of the eyelid cartilage called the tarsus and creates a crease that is about one centimeter from the lid margin. Many orientals ask for an operation to make their eyes look more Caucasian. I do not know of a procedure to do the reverse but understanding the lid anatomy and what would need to be done, I could certainly come up with a procedure to create an oriental eye if I had to. Theoretically you would need to lower the lid crease which would be easy to do and possibly do lateral canthopexy to move the corner of the eye higher. In plastic surgery we have the luxury of inventing procedures and if they have never been described before we would then write them up and publish them.

Are you an FOF Doctor? Please to log in and post your response