what do you recommend for scar treatment after a mastopexy?

0 Answers

  1. Dr. James Wethe wrote on :

    For scar treatment after mastopexy the first thing I would need to know is when the mastopexy was actually performed… hopefully, it was relatively recent. Assuming it was, the the best options are any of the silicone based scar treatments… Kelocote, Scar Guard, and many others as well as silicone gel strips. The “best” in most cases are the silicone gel strips… they make them with the pattern of the most common scars from a mastopexy and they can be worn inside a bra. Of course, ongoing evaluation from the surgeon who performed the procedure is a “must” so that the management of the scars can be optimized. This can include the above strips/ointments/gels as well as injections of corticosteroids as needed and even scar revision at an appropriate time after the original procedure. Hope this helps.
    J. Wethe, M.D.

  2. Dr. Curtis Wong wrote on :

    If you feel you must do something proactive in an attempt to improve your final scar, you can consider simply using paper tape over the incisions except for showers for a few months or any silicone based product that are advertised for scar reduction. I can’t say I’m a true believer that they make a difference but it certainly doesn’t hurt your recovery to try something.

  3. Dr. Julio Garcia wrote on :

    If it has been less than one month I suggest a scar modulation device called Embrace by Neodyne, if it has been longer I suggest bioCorneum+, ScarGuard or Mederma.

  4. Dr. Richard Chaffoo wrote on :

    Hi and thanks for your question. It is not really possible to give you specific medical advice without the opportunity to examine the scar(s) in question. However, scar treatment is quite standard and includes the use of silicone sheeting and application of lasers in specific situations where the scars are raised and/or red. With time, most scars fade but these treatments will help the scar fade more quickly. Good luck!
    Richard Chaffoo, MD

Are you an FOF Doctor? Please to log in and post your response